Service for Sunday, Jan. 29, 2012


Subject: Love

 Hymn 168 
 10th Century – Richard Mant, Tr. – Adapted

 Let all the earth with songs rejoice;
 Let heaven return the joyful voice;
 All mindful of our God's great name,
 Let every man His praise proclaim.

 Ye servants who once bore the light
 Of Gospel truth o'er darkest night,
 Still may our work that light impart,
 To glad the eyes and cheer the heart.

 O God, by whom to them was given
 The key that shuts and opens heaven,
 Our chains unbind, our loss repair,
 Reveal Thy power through answered prayer.

 For at Thy will they preached the Word
 Which cured disease, which health conferred:
 And now, that healing power once more
 Our peace and health to us restore.

The scriptural selections are from Psalms.

Psalms 16:1‑3,5‑11
Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.  O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight. 

The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.  I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.  I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalms 30:1‑5,7‑9 (to my),11,12
I will extol thee, O Lord; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.  O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.  O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.  Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 

Lord, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.  I cried to thee, O Lord; and unto the Lord I made supplication.  What profit is there in my

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook.


Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.


 Hymn 75 
 James Montgomery – Adapted

 God comes, with succor speedy,
   To those who suffer wrong;
 To help the poor and needy,
   And bid the weak be strong;
 He comes to break oppression,
   To set the captive free,
 To take away transgression,
   And rule in equity.

 His blessings come as showers
   Upon the thirsty earth;
 And joy and hope, like flowers,
   Spring in His path to birth.
 Before Him on the mountains
   Shall Peace, the herald, go;
 From hill to vale the fountains
   Of righteousness shall flow.

 To Him shall prayer unceasing,
   And daily vows, ascend;
 His kingdom still increasing,
   A kingdom without end.
 The tide of time shall never
   His covenant remove;
 His name shall stand forever:
   His changeless name of Love.

Solo: “He Shall Feed His Flock”

The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.

The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.


 Hymn 139
 Minny M. H. Ayers 

 I walk with Love along the way,
 And O, it is a holy day;
 No more I suffer cruel fear,
 I feel God's presence with me here;
 The joy that none can take away
 Is mine; I walk with Love today.

 Who walks with Love along the way,
 Shall talk with Love and Love obey;
 God's healing truth is free to all,
 Our Father answers every call;
 'Tis He dispels the clouds of gray
 That all may walk with Love today.

 Come, walk with Love along the way,
 Let childlike trust be yours today;
 Uplift your thought, with courage go,
 Give of your heart's rich overflow,
 And peace shall crown your joy‑filled day.
 Come, walk with Love along the way.

"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3

[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Benediction

Isaiah 55:12 ye
ye shall go out with joy, and be led forth with peace: the mountains and the hills shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands.

No comments: