Service for Sunday, May 29, 2011

Subject: Ancient and Modern Necromancy, alias Mesmerism and Hypnotism, Denounced

 Hymn 53 
 Based on a hymn by – John R. Macduff

 Everlasting arms of Love
 Are beneath, around, above;
 God it is who bears us on,
 His the arm we lean upon.

 He our ever‑present guide
 Faithful is, whate'er betide;
 Gladly then we journey on,
 With His arm to lean upon.

 From earth's fears and vain alarms
 Safe in His encircling arms,
 He will keep us all the way,
 God, our refuge, strength and stay.

Readings from the Bible.

Psalms 4:1, 2 (to 2nd ?),3, 4 (to 1st .),5‑8
Hear me when I call, O God of my righteousness: thou hast enlarged me when I was in distress; have mercy upon me, and hear my prayer.  O ye sons of men, how long will ye turn my glory into shame? how long will ye love vanity, and seek after leasing?  But know that the Lord hath set apart him that is godly for himself: the Lord will hear when I call unto him.  Stand in awe, and sin not: commune with your own heart upon your bed, and be still.

  Offer the sacrifices of righteousness, and put your trust in the Lord.  There be many that say, Who will shew us any good? Lord, lift thou up the light of thy countenance upon us.  Thou hast put gladness in my heart, more than in the time that their corn and their wine increased.  I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for thou, Lord, only makest me dwell in safety.

I Thess   5:1‑6,8,9,16‑23 (to ;)
But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you.  For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night.  For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.  But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief.  Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness.  Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. 

But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation.  For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ,

Rejoice evermore.  Pray without ceasing.  In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit.  Despise not prophesyings.  Prove all things; hold fast that which is good.  Abstain from all appearance of evil.  And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly;

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook.

Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.
.


 Hymn 148 
 Anna L. Waring*

 In heavenly Love abiding,
   No change my heart shall fear;
 And safe is such confiding,
   For nothing changes here.
 The storm may roar without me,
   My heart may low be laid;
 But God is round about me,
   And can I be dismayed?

 Wherever He may guide me,
   No want shall turn me back;
 My Shepherd is beside me,
   And nothing can I lack.
 His wisdom ever waketh,
   His sight is never dim;
 He knows the way He taketh,
   And I will walk with Him.

 Green pastures are before me,
   Which yet I have not seen;
 Bright skies will soon be o'er me,
   Where darkest clouds have been.
 My hope I cannot measure,
   My path in life is free;
 My Father has my treasure,
   And He will walk with me.

Solo: “Thy Secret Place”


The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.

The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.


 Hymn 293
 Frederic W. Root – Based on hymn by A. M. Toplady

 Rock of Ages, Truth divine,
 Be Thy strength forever mine;
 Let me rest secure on Thee,
 Safe above life's raging sea.
 Rock of Ages, Truth divine,
 Be Thy strength forever mine.

 Rock of Truth, our fortress strong,
 Thou our refuge from all wrong,
 When from mortal sense I flee,
 Let me hide myself in Thee.
 Rock of Ages, Truth divine,
 Be Thy strength forever mine.

 Christ, the Truth, foundation sure,
 On this rock we are secure;
 Peace is there our life to fill,
 Cure is there for every ill.
 Rock of Ages, Truth divine,
 Be Thy strength forever mine.


"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.
There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3
[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
Benediction
II Samuel 22:4
I will call on the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. 


No comments: