Service for Sunday, Oct. 6, 2013

Subject: Unreality

 Hymn 179 
 Margaret Morrison

 Love one another,‑‑word of revelation;
 Love frees from error's thrall,‑‑Love is liberation.
     Love's way the Master trod;
     He that loves shall walk with God.
          Love is the royal way.

 Love knows no evil, neither shade of sadness;
 Love casts out every fear, lifts the heart to gladness.
     Love heals our every ill,
     All the law does love fulfill.
          Love is our answered prayer.

 Love now is dawning over every nation;
 Showing true brotherhood, publishing salvation,
     Love bids all discord cease.
     Conquering hate, enthroning peace,
          Love, Love alone is power.

The scriptural selections are from Psalms.

Psalms 17:1‑8,15
Hear the right, O Lord, attend unto my cry, give ear unto my prayer, that goeth not out of feigned lips.  Let my sentence come forth from thy presence; let thine eyes behold the things that are equal.  Thou hast proved mine heart; thou hast visited me in the night; thou hast tried me, and shalt find nothing; I am purposed that my mouth shall not transgress.  Concerning the works of men, by the word of thy lips I have kept me from the paths of the destroyer.  Hold up my goings in thy paths, that my footsteps slip not.  I have called upon thee, for thou wilt hear me, O God: incline thine ear unto me, and hear my speech.  Shew thy marvellous lovingkindness, O thou that savest by thy right hand them which put their trust in thee from those that rise up against them.  Keep me as the apple of the eye, hide me under the shadow of thy wings,

As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.

Psalms 23:1‑6
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.  He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.  He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.  Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.  Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.  Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy


Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
   For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.


 Hymn 292 
 Maria Louise Baum

 Put on the whole armor of pure consecration,
   The breastplate of righteousness valiantly gird,
 With shield of true faith, and the helmet of
          salvation‑‑
   The sword of the Spirit is God's mighty Word!

 For His is the greatness, the power and the glory,
   The victory His, when for succor we call;
 His majesty shines in creation's wondrous story,
   And He is exalted as head over all!

This being the first Sunday of the month, Article VIII , Section 1, is read from the Manual of The Mother Church:
A Rule for Motives and Acts.
Neither animosity nor mere personal attachment should impel the motives or acts of the members of The Mother Church.  In Science, divine Love alone governs man; and a Christian Scientist reflects the sweet amenities of Love, in rebuking sin, in true brotherliness, charitableness, and forgiveness.  The members of this Church should daily watch and pray to be delivered from all evil, from prophesying, judging, condemning, counseling, influencing or being influenced erroneously.
 

Solo: Love (Words by Mary Baker Eddy)            


Friends:
The Bible and the Christian Science textbook are our only preachers. We shall now read Scriptural texts, and their correlative passages from our denominational textbook; these comprise our sermon.

The canonical writings, together with the word of our textbook, corroborating and explaining the Bible texts in their spiritual import and application to all ages, past, present, and future, constitute a sermon undivorced from truth, uncontaminated and unfettered by human hypotheses, and divinely authorized.

The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.
The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here 
 Hymn 249
 Vivian Burnett 

 O, when we see God's mercy
   Widespread in every place
 And know how flows the fountain
   Of His unbounded grace,
 Can we withhold a tribute,
   Forbear a psalm to raise,
 Or leave unsung one blessing,
   In this our hymn of praise?

 Our gratitude is riches,
   Complaint is poverty,
 Our trials bloom in blessings,
   They test our constancy.
 O, life from joy is minted,
   An everlasting gold,
 True gladness is the treasure
   That grateful hearts will hold.


"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3

[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
Benediction
  
Psalms 19:7,8

The law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the Lord is sure, making wise the simple.  The statutes of the Lord are right, rejoicing the heart: the commandment of the Lord is pure, enlightening the eyes.

No comments: