Service for Sunday Sept. 23, 2012


Subject: Reality

 Hymn 10
 Frederic W. Root – Based on hymn by Martin Luther

 All power is given unto our Lord,
   On Him we place reliance;
 With truth from out His sacred word
   We bid our foes defiance.
     With Him we shall prevail,
     Whatever may assail;
     He is our shield and tower,
     Almighty is His power;
     His kingdom is forever.

 Rejoice, ye people, praise His name,
   His care doth e'er surround us.
 His love to error's thralldom came,
   And from its chains unbound us.
     Our Lord is God alone,
     No other power we own;
     No other voice we heed,
     No other help we need;
     His kingdom is forever.

 O then give thanks to God on high,
   Who life to all is giving;
 The hosts of death before Him fly,
   In Him we all are living.
     Then let us know no fear,
     Our King is ever near;
     Our stay and fortress strong,
     Our strength, our hope, our song;
     His kingdom is forever.

The scriptural selections are from Psalms.

Psalms 3:1,2 (to 1st .),3,4 (to 1st .),5‑8 (to 1st .)
Lord, how are they increased that trouble me! many are they that rise up against me.  Many there be which say of my soul, There is no help for him in God.

But thou, O Lord, art a shield for me; my glory, and the lifter up of mine head.  I cried unto the Lord with my voice, and he heard me out of his holy hill.

I laid me down and slept; I awaked; for the Lord sustained me.  I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about.  Arise, O Lord; save me, O my God: for thou hast smitten all mine enemies upon the cheek bone; thou hast broken the teeth of the ungodly.  Salvation belongeth unto the Lord: thy blessing is upon thy people.

Psalms 5:1‑3,8,11 let
Give ear to my words, O Lord, consider my meditation.  Hearken unto the voice of my cry, my King, and my God: for unto thee will I pray.  My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

Lead me, O Lord, in thy righteousness because of mine enemies; make thy way straight before my face.

let all those that put their trust in thee rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because thou defendest them: let them also that love thy name be joyful in thee. 

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy


Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.




 Hymn 99 
 Ninety‑First Psalm I – Adapted from Tate and Brady

 He that hath God his guardian made,
 Shall underneath th' Almighty's shade
   Fearless and undisturbed abide;
 Thus to myself of Him I'll say,
 He is my fortress, shield and stay,
   My God; in Him I will confide.

 His tender love and watchful care
 Shall free thee from the fowler's snare,
   From every harm and pestilence.
 He over thee His wings shall spread
 To cover thy unguarded head.
   His truth shall be thy strong defense.

 He gives His angels charge o'er thee,
 No evil therefore shalt thou see;
   Thy refuge shall be God most high;
 Dwelling within His secret place,
 Thou shalt behold His power and grace,
   See His salvation ever nigh.

Solo:  "Eye Hath Not Seen"                 


The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.

The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.

 Hymn 350 
 Mary Peters – Adapted

 Through the love of God our Saviour
       All will be well;
 Free and changeless is His favor;
       All must be well;
 Precious is the Love that healed us,
 Perfect is the grace that sealed us,
 Strong the hand stretched forth to shield us;
       All, all is well.

 Though we pass through tribulation,
       All will be well;
 Ours is such a full salvation,
       All must be well;
 Happy still, in God confiding,
 Fruitful, when in Christ abiding,
 Holy, through the Spirit's guiding;
       All, all is well.

 We expect a bright tomorrow,
       All will be well;
 Faith can sing through days of sorrow,
       All must be well;
 While His truth we are applying,
 And upon His love relying,
 God is every need supplying,
       All, all is well.

"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3
[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Benediction


Psalms 33:20
Our soul waiteth for the Lord: he is our help and our shield.

No comments: