Service for Sunday, Aug. 14, 2011


Subject: Soul

 Hymn 180 
 Based on the Danish of Jens N. L. Schjorring

 Love the Lord thy God:
 Love is staff and rod
   For heart and soul and mind.
 In this command forever strong,
 To silence thoughts of wrong
   All laws fulfillment find.

 Here we rest content:
 Good from God is sent
   Where seeds of Love are sown.
 Who as himself his neighbor loves,
 By constant purpose proves
   His neighbor's good his own.

 They whose every thought
 Still from Love is sought
   In Soul, not flesh, abide.
 Love's presence gives a joy untold:
 Now may we all behold
   The Spirit and the bride.

The scriptural selections are from Psalms.

Psalms 16:1‑11
Preserve me, O God: for in thee do I put my trust.  O my soul, thou hast said unto the Lord, Thou art my Lord: my goodness extendeth not to thee; But to the saints that are in the earth, and to the excellent, in whom is all my delight.  Their sorrows shall be multiplied that hasten after another god: their drink offerings of blood will I not offer, nor take up their names into my lips.  The Lord is the portion of mine inheritance and of my cup: thou maintainest my lot.  The lines are fallen unto me in pleasant places; yea, I have a goodly heritage.  I will bless the Lord, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons.  I have set the Lord always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope.  For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.  Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy; at thy right hand there are pleasures for evermore.

Psalms 30:1‑5
I will extol thee, O Lord; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.  O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.  O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.  Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning. 

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook.


Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.

 Hymn 221 
 Margaret Glenn Matters

 O Jesus, our dear Master,
   Thy works, now understood,
 Reveal their full effulgence
   Through love and brotherhood.
 Today Christ's precious Science
   Thy healing power makes plain:
 With joy may all obey thee
   And cast out sin and pain.

 The Christ, eternal manhood,
   As God's own Son beloved,
 A tender ever‑presence
   Within each heart is proved.
 O God, our Father‑Mother,
   Thy name we see expressed
 By man, who in Thy Science
   Is perfect, holy, blessed.

 O Science, God‑sent message
   To tired humanity,
 Thou art Love's revelation
   Of Truth that makes us free.
 Thy kingdom, God, within us
   Shows forth Love's sweet control.
 God's idea, man, rejoices;
   He knows the reign of Soul.

Solo: “Tabernacle of God”

The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.




The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.


 Hymn 374
 John Randall Dunn 

 We thank Thee and we bless Thee,
   O Father of us all,
 That e'en before we ask Thee
   Thou hear'st Thy children's call.
 We praise Thee for Thy goodness
   And tender, constant care,
 We thank Thee, Father‑Mother,
   That Thou hast heard our prayer.

 We thank Thee and we bless Thee,
   O Lord of all above,
 That now Thy children know Thee
   As everlasting Love.
 And Love is not the author
   Of discord, pain and fear;
 O Love divine, we thank Thee
   That good alone is here.

 We thank Thee, Father‑Mother,
   For blessings, light and grace
 Which bid mankind to waken
   And see Thee face to face.
 We thank Thee, when in anguish
   We turn from sense to Soul,
 That we may hear Thee calling:
   Rejoice, for thou art whole.

"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468



1John.3

[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.




Benediction

Psalms 51:12
Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

No comments: