Service for Sunday, May 15, 2011d

Subject: Mortals and Immortals

 Hymn 298
 Communion Hymn – Mary Baker Eddy

 Saw ye my Saviour?  Heard ye the glad sound?
 Felt ye the power of the Word?
 'Twas the Truth that made us free,
 And was found by you and me
 In the life and the love of our Lord.

 Mourner, it calls you,‑‑"Come to my bosom,
 Love wipes your tears all away,
 And will lift the shade of gloom,
 And for you make radiant room
 Midst the glories of one endless day."

 Sinner, it calls you,‑‑"Come to this fountain,
 Cleanse the foul senses within;
 'Tis the Spirit that makes pure,
 That exalts thee, and will cure
 All thy sorrow and sickness and sin."

 Strongest deliverer, friend of the friendless,
 Life of all being divine:
 Thou the Christ, and not the creed;
 Thou the Truth in thought and deed;
 Thou the water, the bread, and the wine.

Readings from the Bible.

Psalms 30:1‑8,10‑12
I will extol thee, O Lord; for thou hast lifted me up, and hast not made my foes to rejoice over me.  O Lord my God, I cried unto thee, and thou hast healed me.  O Lord, thou hast brought up my soul from the grave: thou hast kept me alive, that I should not go down to the pit.  Sing unto the Lord, O ye saints of his, and give thanks at the remembrance of his holiness.  For his anger endureth but a moment; in his favour is life: weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning.  And in my prosperity I said, I shall never be moved.  Lord, by thy favour thou hast made my mountain to stand strong: thou didst hide thy face, and I was troubled.  I cried to thee, O Lord; and unto the Lord I made supplication. 

Hear, O Lord, and have mercy upon me: Lord, be thou my helper.  Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. 

Acts 3:1‑8
Now Peter and John went up together into the temple at the hour of prayer, being the ninth hour.  And a certain man lame from his mother's womb was carried, whom they laid daily at the gate of the temple which is called Beautiful, to ask alms of them that entered into the temple; Who seeing Peter and John about to go into the temple asked an alms.  And Peter, fastening his eyes upon him with John, said, Look on us.  And he gave heed unto them, expecting to receive something of them.  Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.  And he took him by the right hand, and lifted him up: and immediately his feet and ancle bones received strength.  And he leaping up stood, and walked, and entered with them into the temple, walking, and leaping, and praising God. 

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook.

Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.


 Hymn 136 
 Violet Hay

 I love Thy way of freedom, Lord,
   To serve Thee is my choice,
 In Thy clear light of Truth I rise
   And, listening for Thy voice,
 I hear Thy promise old and new,
   That bids all fear to cease:
 My presence still shall go with thee
   And I will give thee peace.

 Though storm or discord cross my path
   Thy power is still my stay,
 Though human will and woe would check
   My upward‑soaring way;
 All unafraid I wait, the while
   Thy angels bring release,
 For still Thy presence is with me,
   And Thou dost give me peace.

 I climb, with joy, the heights of Mind,
   To soar o'er time and space;
 I yet shall know as I am known
   And see Thee face to face.
 Till time and space and fear are naught
   My quest shall never cease,
 Thy presence ever goes with me
   And Thou dost give me peace.

Solo: “Christ, My Refuge”




The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.

The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.

 Hymn 264 
 S. Baring‑Gould

 Onward, Christian soldiers,
   Marching as to war,
 With the cross of Jesus
   Going on before.
 Christ, the royal Master,
   Leads against the foe;
 Forward into battle,
   See his banners go.

       Refrain
 Onward, Christian soldiers,
   Marching as to war,
 With the cross of Jesus
   Going on before.

 Like a mighty army,
   Moves the Church of God;
 Brothers, we are treading
   Where the saints have trod;
 We are not divided,
   All one body we,
 One in hope and doctrine,
   One in charity.
       [Refrain]

 Crowns and thrones may perish,
   Kingdoms rise and wane,
 But the Church of Jesus
   Constant will remain;
 Gates of hell can never
   'Gainst that Church prevail;
 We have Christ's own promise,
   And that cannot fail.
       [Refrain]

 Onward, then, ye people,
   Join our happy throng;
 Blend with ours your voices
   In the triumph song;
 Glory, laud and honor
   Unto Christ the King;
 This through countless ages
   Men and angels sing.
       [Refrain]

"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.
There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.
Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3
[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
Benediction

Psalms 24:7
Lift up your heads, O ye gates; and be ye lift up, ye everlasting doors; and the King of glory shall come in.

No comments: