Service for Sunday, May 30, 2010

Subject: Ancient and Modern Necromancy, alias Mesmerism and Hypnotism, Denounced

Hymn 115

John M. Neale – Adapted

Holy Father, Thou hast taught us

We should live to Thee alone;

Year by year, Thy hand hath brought us

On through dangers oft unknown.

When we wandered, Thou hast found us;

When we doubted, sent us light;

Still Thine arm has been around us,

All our paths were in Thy sight.

We would trust in Thy protecting,

Wholly rest upon Thine arm,

Follow wholly Thy directing,

Thou our only guard from harm.

Keep us from our own undoing,

Help us turn to Thee when tried,

Still our strength in Thee renewing,

Keep us ever at Thy side.

The scriptural selection is from Psalms.


Psalms 18:2‑6,16‑22,29,30,46

The Lord is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. I will call upon the Lord, who is worthy to be praised: so shall I be saved from mine enemies. The sorrows of death compassed me, and the floods of ungodly men made me afraid. The sorrows of hell compassed me about: the snares of death prevented me. In my distress I called upon the Lord, and cried unto my God: he heard my voice out of his temple, and my cry came before him, even into his ears.

He sent from above, he took me, he drew me out of many waters. He delivered me from my strong enemy, and from them which hated me: for they were too strong for me. They prevented me in the day of my calamity: but the Lord was my stay. He brought me forth also into a large place; he delivered me, because he delighted in me. The Lord rewarded me according to my righteousness; according to the cleanness of my hands hath he recompensed me. For I have kept the ways of the Lord, and have not wickedly departed from my God. For all his judgments were before me, and I did not put away his statutes from me.

For by thee I have run through a troop; and by my God have I leaped over a wall. As for God, his way is perfect: the word of the Lord is tried: he is a buckler to all those that trust in him.

The Lord liveth; and blessed be my rock; and let the God of my salvation be exalted.

Silent prayer, followed by the audible repetition of the Lord’s prayer, with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science textbook.


Our Father which art in heaven,
Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,
Hallowed be Thy name.
Adorable One.
Thy kingdom come.
Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.
Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.
Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth
God is omnipotent, supreme.
Give us this day our daily bread;
Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;
And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.
And Love is reflected in love;
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;
And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.
For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.
For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.


Hymn 359

William P. McKenzie

Trust the Eternal when the shadows gather,

When joys of daylight seem so like a dream;

God the unchanging pities like a father;

Trust on and wait, the daystar yet shall gleam.

Trust the Eternal, for the clouds that vanish

No more can move the mountains from their base

Than sin's illusive wreaths of mist can banish

Light from His throne or loving from His face.

Trust the Eternal, and repent in meekness

Of that heart's pride which frowns and will not

yield,

Then to thy child‑heart shall come strength in

weakness,

And thine immortal life shall be revealed.

Solo: “Be Strong in the Lord”

The lesson-sermon from the Bible and the Christian Science textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy, read by the First and Second Readers.


The content of the Lesson Sermon may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.


Hymn 278

P. M. – Adapted

Pilgrim on earth, home and heaven are within thee,

Heir of the ages and child of the day.

Cared for, watched over, beloved and protected,

Walk thou with courage each step of the way.

Truthful and steadfast though trials betide thee,

Ever one thing do thou ask of thy Lord,

Grace to go forward, wherever He guide thee,

Gladly obeying the call of His word.

Healed is thy hardness, His love hath dissolved it,

Full is the promise, the blessing how kind;

So shall His tenderness teach thee compassion,

So all the merciful, mercy shall find.


"The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468


1John.3

[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

Benediction


Psalms 91:2

I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust.

No comments: