Service for Sunday, Aug. 23, 2009

Subject: Mind

Hymn 46

Josiah Conder*

Day by day the manna fell:

O, to learn this lesson well.

Still by constant mercy fed,

Give me, Lord, my daily bread.

Day by day the promise reads,

Daily strength for daily needs:

Cast foreboding fears away;

Take the manna of today.

Lord, my times are in Thy hand:

All my sanguine hopes have planned,

To Thy wisdom I resign,

And would mold my will to Thine.

Thou my daily task shalt give;

Day by day to Thee I live;

So shall added years fulfill

Not my own, my Father's will.

The scriptural selections are from Psalms and Proverbs.

Psalms 51:6‑12,15‑17

Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts: and in the hidden part thou shalt make me to know wisdom. Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean: wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow. Make me to hear joy and gladness; that the bones which thou hast broken may rejoice. Hide thy face from my sins, and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me. Restore unto me the joy of thy salvation; and uphold me with thy free spirit.

O Lord, open thou my lips; and my mouth shall shew forth thy praise. For thou desirest not sacrifice; else would I give it: thou delightest not in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise.

Proverbs 2:1‑11

My son, if thou wilt receive my words, and hide my commandments with thee; So that thou incline thine ear unto wisdom, and apply thine heart to understanding; Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures; Then shalt thou understand the fear of the Lord, and find the knowledge of God. For the Lord giveth wisdom: out of his mouth cometh knowledge and understanding. He layeth up sound wisdom for the righteous: he is a buckler to them that walk uprightly. He keepeth the paths of judgment, and preserveth the way of his saints. Then shalt thou understand righteousness, and judgment, and equity; yea, every good path. #When wisdom entereth into thine heart, and knowledge is pleasant unto thy soul; Discretion shall preserve thee, understanding shall keep thee:


Silent Prayer, followed by the Lord’s Prayer with its spiritual interpretation as given in the Christian Science Textbook, Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, by Mary Baker Eddy.

Our Father which art in heaven,

Our Father-Mother God, all-harmonious,

Hallowed be Thy name.

Adorable One.

Thy kingdom come.

Thy kingdom is come; Thou art ever-present.

Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.

Enable us to know – as in heaven, so on earth

God is omnipotent, supreme.

Give us this day our daily bread;

Give us grace for today; feed the famished affections;

And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

And Love is reflected in love;

And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil;

And God leadeth us not into temptation, but delivereth us from sin, disease, and death.

For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever.

For God is infinite, all-power, all Life, Truth, Love, over all, and All.

Hymn 160

Satisfied – Mary Baker Eddy

It matters not what be thy lot,

So Love doth guide;

For storm or shine, pure peace is thine,

Whate'er betide.

And of these stones, or tyrants' thrones,

God able is

To raise up seed‑‑in thought and deed‑‑

To faithful His.

Aye, darkling sense, arise, go hence!

Our God is good.

False fears are foes‑‑truth tatters those,

When understood.

Love looseth thee, and lifteth me,

Ayont hate's thrall:

There Life is light, and wisdom might,

And God is All.

The centuries break, the earth‑bound wake,

God's glorified!

Who doth His will‑‑His likeness still‑‑

Is satisfied.


Solo Give Me An Understanding Heart


The Lesson‑Sermon as outlined in the Christian Science Quarterly and read by the First

and Second Readers.


The content of the Lesson Sermons may be found in the Christian Science Quarterly. You may also read the Lesson-Sermon for this week online by clicking here.


Hymn 178

Based on the Danish of Nikolaj F. S. Grundtvig

Love is life's true crown and glory,

Love the splendor of the light,

Truly is God's counsel gentle,

Truly all His ways are bright;

Jesus knew the law of kindness,

Healing mind and heart of blindness;

And in heavenly wisdom taught

Holy works of love he wrought.

Love, the Golden Rule of living,

Showeth forth the perfect Mind;

Love, our debt to God who gives it,

All compassion is, and kind;

Charity the law fulfilleth,

Mid the nations rancor stilleth;

Loving hearts in friendship blend,

One in Him, our heavenly Friend.


The Scientific Statement of Being" (S&H p. 468} and the correlative scripture according to I John 3:1-3.

There is no life, truth, intelligence, nor substance in matter. All is infinite Mind and its infinite manifestation, for God is All-in-all. Spirit is immortal Truth; matter is mortal error. Spirit is the real and eternal; matter is the unreal and temporal. Spirit is God, and man is His image and likeness. Therefore man is not material; he is spiritual.

Science and Health with Key to the Scriptures, p.468

1John.3

[1] Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

[2] Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.

[3] And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.


Benediction

Psalms 104:24

O Lord, how manifold are thy works! in wisdom hast thou made them all: the earth is full of thy riches.



No comments: