Service for Sunday, June 3, 2007

Subject: Ancient and Modern Necromancy, alias Mesmerism and Hypnotism, Denounced

The Scriptural selection is from Habakkuk and Proverbs
Habakkuk 2:1-3,14 the,20 the
I will stand upon my watch, and set me upon the tower, and will watch to see what he will say
unto me, and what I shall answer when I am reproved. And the Lord answered me, and said,
Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it. For the vision is
yet for an appointed time, but at the end it shall speak, and not lie: though it tarry, wait for it;
because it will surely come, it will not tarry.

the earth shall be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the Lord, as the waters cover the sea.

the Lord is in his holy temple: let all the earth keep silence before him.

Proverbs 8:1,4,6,7 (to ;),8-12,14,19-21,32-35
Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.

Hear; for I will speak of excellent things; and the opening of my lips shall be right things. For my mouth shall speak truth;

All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them. They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge. Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold. For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it. I wisdom dwell with prudence, and find out knowledge of witty inventions.

Counsel is mine, and sound wisdom: I am understanding; I have strength.

My fruit is better than gold, yea, than fine gold; and my revenue than choice silver. I lead in the way of righteousness, in the midst of the paths of judgment: That I may cause those that love me to inherit substance; and I will fill their treasures.

Now therefore hearken unto me, O ye children: for blessed are they that keep my ways. Hear instruction, and be wise, and refuse it not. Blessed is the man that heareth me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors. For whoso findeth me findeth life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord.

Solo - "Be Strong in the Lord"
Benediction
Luke 21:36
Watch ye therefore, and pray always, that ye may be accounted worthy to escape all these things that shall come to pass, and to stand before the Son of man.

Hymn 183
Horatius Bonar – Adapted

Make haste, O man, to do
Whatever must be done;
Thou hast no time to lose in sloth,
When all to Truth must come.

The useful and the great,
The thing that never dies,
The silent toil that is not lost,--
Set these before thine eyes.

Up, face the task and work;
Fling ease and self away;
This is no time for thee to sleep;
Up, watch, and work, and pray.

Hymn 207
Mother's Evening Prayer by Mary Baker Eddy

O gentle presence, peace and joy and power;
O Life divine, that owns each waiting hour,
Thou Love that guards the nestling's faltering flight!
Keep Thou my child on upward wing tonight.

Love is our refuge; only with mine eye
Can I behold the snare, the pit, the fall:
His habitation high is here, and nigh,
His arm encircles me, and mine, and all.

O make me glad for every scalding tear,
For hope deferred, ingratitude, disdain!
Wait, and love more for every hate, and fear
No ill,--since God is good, and loss is gain.

Beneath the shadow of His mighty wing;
In that sweet secret of the narrow way,
Seeking and finding, with the angels sing:
"Lo, I am with you alway,"--watch and pray.

No snare, no fowler, pestilence or pain;
No night drops down upon the troubled breast,
When heaven's aftersmile earth's tear-drops gain,
And mother finds her home and heav'nly rest.

Hymn 37
Samuel Johnson*

City of God, how broad and far
Outspread thy walls sublime;
The true thy chartered freemen are,
Of every age and clime.

One holy church, one army strong,
One steadfast high intent,
One working band, one harvest song,
One King omnipotent.

How gleam thy watch fires through the night,
With never fainting ray;
How rise thy towers, serene and bright,
To meet the dawning day.

In vain the surge's angry shock,
In vain the drifting sands;
Unharmed upon th' eternal Rock,
The heavenly city stands.

No comments: